Short version: Many, many, many artifacts later ( I actually list some of them below), I finally dig up the Crawling Claw!
I have been digging for a long time. I have 5 maxed archaeologists, and had almost finished maxing both the monk and the hunter. To be fair I actually quite enjoy the digging. And I have gotten some pretty cool things from it. I like the Umbrella of Chi-Ji of course. And the Highborne Soul Mirror is semi-cool. The Pterrodax Hatchling is an unexpected surprise star. But let’s face it. I have been digging because I covet three things: The Vial of the Sands, the Fossilized Raptor, and the Crawling Claw. I currently have neither mount. But last night, as you see, I was rewarded with the extremely elusive Crawling Claw. I don’t mind the digging apart from a few places – Southshore Fossil Field and the ginormous fossil field in Un’Goro spring to mind – , but I think that someone got just a LITTLE over zealous on the Night Elf sites. And, if you were hoping for Tol’Vir dig sites before you got to Pandaria, you just about ignore the Eastern Kingdom sites completely. But there’s are some neat things to fill up your bank (bring on that toy interface!)
To give you an idea of how much I have been digging I will mention some of the rares I have gotten BEFORE I could hand in Pandarian restored artifacts for Tol’Vir fragments. Because, you know, I like to moan about how much I have honestly been trying before I was successful!
- 2 Kaldorei Wind Chimes – the one I dug up on September 1st 2012 looks like the first rare I got
- 2 Chalices of the Mountain King – the first gotten in October of 2012.
- 2 Anatomical Dummies
- 2 Pterrodax Hatchlings
- 4 Fossilized Hatchlings (plus one in production)
- 2 Ancient Amber
- 3 Highborne Soul Mirrors
- 4 Druid and Priest Statue Sets
- 2 Haunted War Drums
- 2 Spear of Xuen
- 2 Sonic Pulse Generators
- 2 Voodoo Figurines
- 1 Bones of Transformation
- 1 Clockwork Gnome
- 1 Mantid Sky Reaver
- 3 Umbrella of Chi-Ji – it’s actually kind of nice to have 3 of this, even if it is Battle.net account bound. Can be used to transmogrify the outfit 3 different characters.
- 2 Quilen statuette
- 1 Headdress of the First Shaman (+1 as a current research project)
- 2 Queen Azshara’s Dressing Gowns
- 2 Pendant of the Scarab Storm
- 1 Ring of the Boy Emperor – I really thought I had two of this; totally losing track of all my stuff
And in addition to the Tol’Vir rares listed above (the last two items), the diggers completed a few other Tol’Vir projects:
- 20 – Vixxyne – BE Warrior
- 2 – Snazzie – 86 gnome mage
- 12 – Myinx – BE Mage
- 18 – Helvette – BE Shadow Priest
- Tallulabelle – BE Paladin- zero – just getting her through the 500s without getting a single Tol’Vir dig
- 6 – Silje – BE Warlock who hit the jackpot yesterday!
- 2 – Myinxette – 86 BE monk
When Silje finally got the Research Project, she was only digging in Pandaria, exchanging projects for Tol’Vir fragments. In order to get the required amount of fragments, she had to solve no less than TWO Pandaren rares. Because, you know, I hadn’t dug enough yet.
So happy to finally have it! First pet in a long time I’ve really looked forward to leveling to 25! If you want to see it in action without getting your very own, go battle Headless Jacob’s set of three Undead Pets in Crystalsong Forest for a laugh!